Monday, July 31, 2006

31/7/06

THE CONVENTION

They’ve come from all over the world. From Biloxi, Bruges, Barrow. It might be considered The Wicker Man in reverse. Thousands of Christians come to witness and evangelise and invade. And the lines of teenagers queuing at night for their fix of moral supply. What sickens me is that it seems all so American, all so bible belt – the presentation , the howling ministers, the late night pseudo-concert of Christian rock and the baying for the blood of ‘unbelievers’. Even faith has been appropriated by the US in presentation and style.

An actress tells me that she was sunbathing in her front garden, nothing too louche but she was - yes - in a bikini and she ain’t unattractive if you know what I mean – reading a book, midriff catching the rays and a young man (maybe twelve, thirteen) walking with his parents is told to keep his eyes down Billy keep your eyes down and he does like an obedient dog. I wonder if he wanted to look, to feed those young intrigued hormones? Or was it auto for him to see woman’s flesh as sin?

I would consider stripping naked, covering myself in woad symbols of some pagan origin and run through them shouting: I TOO HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY THE HAND OF GOD. But somehow I don’t think they’d get the joke.

No comments: